Some say adrenal fatigue is a list of symptoms that are caused by an adrenal gland that is not working effectively in people under stress. The adrenal glands produce a variety of essential hormones, including cortisol, which helps your body deal with stress. Adrenal fatigue may develop if someone is going through intense or long periods of stress. Your adrenal glands can become overstimulated, leaving them unable to function properly.
Adrenal fatigue is controversial to some, as it not a proven medical condition. Discovering the cause of the fatigue people suffer is tricky, as fatigue is a factor in many medical conditions.
Some doctors think the causes of the symptoms attributed to adrenal fatigue are poor sleep habits, depression, poor diet and stress at work or home, rather than the adrenal glands. For those suffering from extreme fatigue, it is frustrating to not be able to get definitive answers or a treatment that helps.
Adrenal fatigue symptoms may include:
- Chronic tiredness even after you first wake up
- Trouble completing tasks
- Trouble thinking clearly
- Poor digestion
- Craving salty or sweet foods
- Food or environmental allergies
If you think you have adrenal fatigue, be sure to rule out other conditions first. You should:
- Be sure your lifestyle is healthy
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean meat.
- Avoid junk food.
- Get regular exercise.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Consider supplements if you continue to have fatigue, but no medical cause can be found.
- See a doctor
- Have tests completed to check your hormone levels.